Saturday, September 1, 2012
Traditional Okinawan Martial Arts in Arizona
At the Arizona Hombu (Arizona School of Traditional Karate) in Mesa & Gilbert, Arizona, we teach a variety of classes and martial arts unmatched in the Phoenix Valley.
(1) Shorin-Ryu Karate: In addition to Okinawa Karate, we teach many kata (forms) with self-defense applications for every kata. These become powerful guides to teaching muscle memory and self-defense.
(2) Kobudo (Martial Arts Weapons). Karate and Kobudo were always taught together and we start you right away in learning kobudo. These were the farming and fishing implements used by Okinawans for self-defense. We have expanded this to include some modern day tools. We have a list of the weapons we teach at our school on our website. And we teach you actually how to use these - not how to twirl.
(3) Samurai Arts. Our Samurai Arts include the samurai sword (iaido and kenjutsu), the naginata (long pole with blade), yari (spear), hanbo (half bo), bo, manrikigusari (weighted chain or rope), jujutsu (throwing arts), and hojojutsu (restraining).
(4) Self-Defense. Our grandmaster has taught dozens of self-defense clinics all over the West and specializes in teaching people how to defend with their hands, feet, elbows, knees and common everyday weapons like car keys, books, computers, etc.
(5) Special Secret Arts. Soke Hausel has been training in martial arts for nearly 5 decades and has trained with a some of the top martial artists in the world. In special clinics, you can learn unusual arts including pressure point attacks, one-punch knockouts, tameshiwari (breaking rocks), tameshigiri (test cuts), shitaikori (body hardening). These latter arts are not for everyone and are only taught to those who show interest.